Follow these best practices to keep your shelter performing at its best.
- Avoid exposure to direct sunlight when possible.
- Dry your shelter completely before storing.
- Store loosely packed.
- Avoid abrasion of the rain fly on the ground, especially with Cuben Fiber.
- Do not force zippers.
Cuben Fiber Specific
- Avoid applying pressure to a small area (such as with a thumb while stuffing a tent into its sack). Doing so may deform the material.
- For shelters with floors, fold the shelter in on itself so the floor envelopes the rain fly. Fold and roll to fit into the stuff sack
- Do not step on the rain fly or use it as an impromptu groundsheet.
- Store the shelter inside its stuff sack and inside your pack to minimize abrasion and exposure to UV
- Keep your zipper clean - in dusty environments, rinse the zipper periodically to remove dirt.
- Lubricate the zipper periodically. We recommend using McNett ZipCare
- Do not force the zipper! If you've re-tensioned your tent while the door was open, you may need to loosen the lines.
- Use the zipper pulls to open the zipper. Don't grab the unzipped portion and spread it to open.
- If your zipper has failed, check here for a potentially easy fix!
SilNylon & SilPoly Specific
- Before initial use, seams will need to be seam sealed. Find instructions here.
- Infrequently, it may become necessary to reseal the seams or a portion of a seam if you use a thin application of sealer initially.